Tuesday 14 January 2014

treasure: a cuppa tea with me!

I'm shaking up my silent blog airwaves with a little self interview as prompted by no other than the most wonderful Pip of Meet Me at Mikes. I'm a Blog with Pip student, and proud - many changes to be made in coming months on this here blog.

But down to business, let's answer these interview questions.

1. name, state and a bit about what you do on a daily basis 
My name is Helen, I live in NSW. By day, I work in Admin at a university. By night, I am doing a Masters in Arts Management and managing social media for Lip Magazine. I also contribute to the university student paper, and write things of my own.

2. favourite things to do

I love writing. I really enjoy it. I like writing blog posts, articles, social media posts, comments on Facebook, emails and good ol' fashioned letters. I like music a lot - I am getting back into playing guitar and singing. I like sitting in my comfy chair with a teacup on one armrest and a plate of toast on the other, while I read or write or scribble mind maps. And damn do I love a good thrift store score. 
 
3. favourite place to be

My bedroom! It's all just right, filled with thrifts and gifts and pretty pictures from everywhere. There is loads of light and flowers just outside my window. 

4. favourite things to eat/drink

I love eggs on toast and coffee from my favourite local cafe, the Goldfish Bowl. I try not to eat bread, but the oven-fired sourdough makes me break all my rules about once a week. 

5. favourite inspirations

I love beautiful things, collected and displayed just so. I love the wise and wonderful words of others - they fire up solid inspiration and make me want to put my own words out there. I love amazing folk like Tavi Gevinson, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I am inspired by what's happening with feminism at the moment, and it makes me want to say things myself! I think big thoughts. That's what the mind maps and lists are for.

6. something i want to know more about

There are many classic novels I want to read, but I think for this year I want to focus on books written by women. I want to write them up, the same way I spent a month last year just listening to female artists. I also want to know more about how to take care of Maude, my lovely Mazda Explorer van. 

7. some favourite blogs

So many! From this awesome Blog with Pip course, I have enjoyed sharing Facebook, blog and Instagram interactions with cityhippyfarmgirl, and You'll Move Mountains. From just the plain old internet, I am loving Ms Annalog (another new instagram friend). I always enjoy The Militant Baker for her passion and amazingness. And I continue to get a subscription to Her Library Adventures which comes straight to my inbox.

So there's a few things about me, nice to meet anybody visiting from Meet Me at Mikes - swing by again, leave a comment if you like!




22 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! My blog is still on a bit of hiatus but I hope to get rolling again with it soon!
    I recently met a girl who writes for Lip Magazine and have just started reading it, I had no idea you were involved! I've been meaning to ask you, could you recommend any books that are a good introduction to feminism? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to mention you Reanna :) One of these days I'll pop down to Melbourne for a visit and demand to meet you for an in-person cup of tea!

      Who did you meet from Lip? It's funny, because I work remotely I haven't ever actually met any of the staff, despite knowing their writing style, politics etc quite well. I love being involved as well as keeping my finger on the pulse of newsy things.

      You can see I've been on a break too. It's ok - I firmly believe that sometimes you need to take stock and deep breaths. I am hoping to have a big year on my blog coming up - it motivates me when I know other people are reading it!

      I will think on some good feminist reading. The internet can be overwhelming but is also a great spot to start. I'll let you know! x

      Delete
    2. I met Heidi La Paglia at the w.comm Young Women's Forum I attended in Sydney at the end of last year. She was really inspirationally in her thinking!
      Good luck with your blog this year! I am currently trying to write up for first blog in nearly a month!

      Delete
    3. I love Heidi's stuff! That forum sounds awesome, does it run every year?

      Good on you for getting back into it! Three cheers! :)

      Delete
  2. High-fives on this post, Helen! Would love to bend your ear about mind-mapping sometime!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind-mapping is so much fun! I don't know how effective I am at it, but it certainly helps me figure out an idea when I don't know when to start. We'll definitely talk mind-maps in future :)

      Delete
  3. Ohh, just had a look at Lip Magazine and I think there is a big fat yes from me. Will do some trawling later.
    For your female writers, have you read "The Divided Heart"- Rachel Power? I really enjoyed it and hooly dooly there was a lot of scribbling of papers, mind mapping, and discussions that came along with it.
    Super happy to have 'met' you lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion :) I will put it on my book list, it does sound familiar to me.

      Yes, Lip is pretty awesome - all run under volunteers, and Zoya our Editor is just amazing. So much energy and dedication! I love having people around to inspire me, especially people like yourself who make me think I might just try baking some bread this year! stay tuned...

      Delete
    2. I just checked Lip Magazine out as well and got very distracted reading all sorts of bits - thanks for sharing

      Delete
  4. I've just come back and reread this, because after I first clicked over and read it, I end up getting lost in your site - so much great stuff! Can't wait to keep reading more, love what you've got here. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridie :) Hope it was happy lost, and not sadly lost! Have had a Christmas break from writing, but oh so many plans for the new year thanks to the course...
      Looking forward to keeping up with Miss and Misters in the new year, too!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading 'the great feminist denial' by Monica Dux & Zora Simic (?). Very thought provoking and lead me on to more good feminist literature. Thanks for a great post Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by, Katie! Loved reading your blog so far (did the full catch up with it yesterday). And that book is going on my reading list! Here's to an awesome new year of blog fun!

      Delete
  6. I think I might join you on your classic book journey this year. Let us know in advance what you're planning to read and maybe we can do a read-a-long :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A read-a-long is a great idea! I might start shortlisting books I want to read. I'm also part of a real-life book club so hopefully we can work these things in together! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely getting to read about you. I've been more and more interested in feminism as I've gotten older but I tend to refer to myself as an equalist as that encompasses more of my equality passions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lila! Feminism is about equality for me, so I'd say we're on the same page! Hoping to write more about this in the future, too.

      Delete
  8. the goldfish bowl! I know where that is, it is so awesome and that bread ... so. good :) Sounds like you have some great things planned for 2014, look forward to seeing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by, rachael! between you knowing the goldfish bowl, and mention of new england brewing company in your 'taking stock' post (snap!), i have to assume you've got an Armidale connection :)

      Delete
    2. Have family a little over an hour south of you Helen and some family and friends in your town. Love the New England Brewing Company, still waiting to be able to get it in Sydney instead of having to drive halfway to QLD to get my sticky paws on it. Love it.

      Delete
  9. Hi Helen!
    I love a good thrift shop bargain too! I have a habit of buying buttons that I don't know what I'll do with!
    It's lovely to have met you through Blog With Pip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by, Sam - headed over to your blog now :)

      Addicted to thrift shops. It's a problem... I think... maybe... or is it? ;)

      Delete